There is an option in Outlook to leave messages on the server. There may be
reasons to leave this option on, for instance if you need to check the email from
two different computers. But it is not recommended for regular use because your
email box will fill up rapidly.
The emails will be marked as "seen" on the server, but they will remain.
To change the option to leave mail on the server,
- From Outlook, choose the 'Tools' Menu
- Choose 'Email Accounts'
- Choose View/ Change existing email accounts
- Select the account you wish to modify if you have more than one
- Click the "Change" button
- Click the "More Settings" Button
- Select the "Advanced" tab
- Un-check or check the 'leave mail on server' checkbox
- You may adjust the number of days that mail will be left on the server by
selecting the option. (Probably a good idea.)
- Click the "Next" button, then "Finish"